Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Mike H.'s essay

The arts have been known to “save” people. How then can a modern day performer help bring the arts to those who can not experience them because of money or location? During my experience in Boston we were not able to spend a lot of time finding out the aspects of being a performer. Mainly we visited museums and we did meet with a director but the topic of the arts and charity did not come up. I almost wonder if you can never share you knowledge of the arts with the less fortunate. Everyone will say the will help spread knowledge but most of the time they have an underlying agenda. Of course you do have that one person that will give up everything to share the one thing they love; and is the sacrifice truly worth it. I hope one day when I graduate college the first thing I would like to do would be to help spread the joy of dance. By doing this first I eliminate the thirst for money. That is what the arts are all about; free expression without a price. I know of some organizations started by dancers to help the less fortunate; but they only help them with their necessities. If we could some how have different committees that would help out with the bare necessities, housing and then we could move on to enriching their lives with the art of dance or any other art for that matter. Maybe next year there could be a community service based group or something of the nature. In a perfect world money would not be an issues when it comes to sharing the love of an art. I hope greed will not take over my motive and in turn I will be able to truly share my passion.

No comments: